Kopi Luwak Bali

During my previous trip to Bali, I have tried civet coffee - or better known as "kopi luwak" to the native. The coffee can be found at the rack of almost every souvenir shops, and of course duty free shops too. For those of you who are unfamiliar with what 'kopi luwak" is, this is a short definition from Wikipedia.

"Kopi luwak, or civet coffee, refers to the coffee that includes part-digested coffee cherries eaten and defecated by the Asian palm civet. The civet eats the cherries for the fleshy pulp, then in the digestive tract, fermentation occurs. The civet's protease enzymes seep into the beans, making shorter peptides and more free amino acids. Passing through a civet's intestines the cherries are then defecated with other fecal matter and collected."


#1

My friends and I were lucky to pass by a coffee shop which served the coffee fresh while we were in Tanah Lot. Not exactly fresh from the civet (haha), but it was brewed on the spot, unlike those instant one from the shelves. Do you know that kopi luwak is one of the most expensive coffee in the world? I have heard about the coffee from one of the Japanese variety TV show once. The host ordered a cup of it for a whooping price of 10000yen (around RM350) per cup! 

#2


My friend knew about the coffee from her friends too. She was more excited than me when we came across this coffee shop in Bali which serves the coffee. So four of us, ordered one cup. Yes, only one cup. I have no idea how much was it because I was busy taking photos of the civet while they were ordering the coffee. But I am sure it cost far less than RM350!

#3

This is the iced civet coffee that we shared among the four of us. It has a vey thick foam on the surface and overall the coffee taste slightly acidic to my liking. However, I personally think that it has a unique aroma. We should have ordered a cup of hot coffee for maximum taste but the weather was too hot for us to order anything other than an ice coffee.


#4

Looking at this pile of defecated cherries, I had a hard time trying to convince myself to not think about where these elongated shape glued-together thingy came from. I mean.....right? hahaha.
Just so you know, they do not give out nasty smell at all. Perhaps it is because they have already been dried?


#5
hey hooman... I'm too lazy to entertain you...

#6

It's funny how the civets can stay on the table without leaving or running towards visitors who passed by. The fact that they were not even tied up really surprised me! They looked so lazy to entertain anyone, just living in their own world, relaxing and sunbathing at the same time.



#7

Just like what I said in my previous Instagram post, I couldn't believe that I spent money to 吃大便 (eat poop). Well, this is life right? Where people pay to experience something unusual. For example, scaring themselves (on roller coaster, bungee jumping, ghost house) or dine in the dark etc. 

Anyway, hope you enjoy reading this post! :)
x



0 comments:

Post a Comment